ASD-INJS French Exchange Program

01-16-2008

Welcome! Bienvenue!

The relationship between the American School for the Deaf (ASD) and the Institut National de Jeunes Sourds (INJS) de Paris began in the early 19th century when Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet traveled to Europe looking for guidance in his efforts to set up the first school for the deaf in the U.S. After arriving in Paris, he was welcomed at INJS, where he studied for several months. He was able to recruit Laurent Clerc, a deaf Frenchman, who accompanied Gallaudet back to Connecticut and assisted in founding ASD.

    The strong connection between the two schools was re-established in 1989 when a modern-day version of the Gallaudet-Clerc exchange was organized. In this program, students and staff from both schools have a chance to meet, visit each other’s schools, and exchange ideas and cultures.

    During a two-year cycle, the students taking French at ASD and the students taking English at INJS become penpals and exchange letters. Then the two groups of students have a chance to meet face-to-face. In the spring of the first year, they meet in the U.S., where the American students are host to the French students. In the spring of the second year, they meet in Paris where the French students host the American students.

    The exchange program has provided an opportunity for students, staff and administrators from each school to meet, to learn form each other, and most importantly, to become friends...

 

La relation entre l’American School for the Deaf (ASD)et l’Institut National des Jeunes Sourds de Paris (INJS) a commence au debut du 19eme siecle quand Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet voyagea a travers l’Europe pour chercher de l’aide dans ses efforts pour creer la premiere ecole pour sourds aux Etats-Unis. Apres son arrivee a Paris, il fut accueilli a l’INJS, ou il etudia pendant plusieurs mois. Il put recruter Laurent Clerc, un homme francais sourd, qui accompagna Gallaudet de retour dans le Connecticut et l’assista a la fondation de l’ASD.

 

Le lien fort entre les deux ecoles a ete reetabli en 1989 quand une version contemporaine de l’echange entre Gallaudet et Clerc fut organisee. Durant ce programme, les eleves et le personnel de chacune des ecoles ont l’occasion de se rencontrer, de visiter l’ecole de chacun, et d’echanger des idees et la culture.

 

Sur un cycle de deux ans, les eleves apprenant le francais a l’ASD et les eleves apprenant l’anglais a l’INJS deviennent correspondants et echangent des lettres. Puis les deux groupes ont la chance de se rencontrer en face a face. Au printemps de la premiere annee, ils se rencontrent aux Etats-Unis ou les eleves americains sont les hotes des eleves francais. Au printemps de la deuxieme annee, ils se rencontrent a Paris ou les eleves francais sont les hotes des eleves americains.

 

L’echange franco-americain est devenue une opportunite pour les eleves, le personnel et l’administration de chaque ecole pour se rencontrer, se connaitre, et surtout, pour devenir des amis...

Posté par Frenchexchange à 10:33 PM - - Commentaires [2] - Permalien [#]


01-17-2008

Histoire de l'INJS de Paris...

L’abbe de l’Epee et l’ecole de la rue des Moulins : Berceau de l’institution nationale des jeunes sourds de Paris.

L'Institution Nationale de Jeunes Sourds de Paris est un lieu riche d'histoire. A l'origine, l'Institution des Sourds de naissance fut créée sous la Constituante, par la loi du 21 et 29 juillet 1791. Elle avait pour finalité la poursuite de l'œuvre philanthropique de l'abbé Charles-Michel de l'Epée (1712-1789). Cette loi honorait ce bienfaiteur en portant son nom au rang des citoyens ayant mérité de la Patrie.

L'abbé de l'Épée qui était avocat au Parlement de Paris, s'était dévoué pour les pauvres et les indigents. Il dispensait à l'occasion des enseignements à des étudiants entendants. Il advint qu'une rencontre fortuite changea le cours de sa destinée, lorsqu'en 1760 il fut mis en présence de sœurs jumelles sourdes et muettes. Leur précepteur, le Père Vanin venait de décéder fin 1759. Jacob Rodrigues Péreire, précepteur oraliste d'enfants sourds, ayant acquis une notoriété à la cour du roi, n'enseignait alors qu'à quelques sourds et sourdes privilégiés par leur rang social ou le soutien protecteur de quelques nobles en charges.L'abbé de l'Epée venait de découvrir deux nouvelles élèves, pour lesquelles les voies traditionnelles de l'enseignement restaient lettre morte. Sa philosophie augustinienne l'autorisait à voir dans les gestes de ses deux protégées des signes représentant directement les idées. Il imagina donc une langue de signes gestuels naturels, ordonnés selon la syntaxe française, cette syntaxe étant aperçue comme la représentation de la logique universelle humaine.

L'abbé de l'Epée comprit les enjeux de la langue gestuelle. Il ignorait la langue des signes que pratiquait la communauté des sourds parisiens. Cette langue existait bien, ainsi qu'en témoigne un devenu sourd, Pierre Desloges, dans le livre qu'il fit éditer en 1779. Le projet de l'abbé de l'Epée portait bien au-delà de la Classe qu'il ouvrit dans la maison familial, au 14 rue des Moulins, butte Saint-Roch, prés du Louvre à Paris ; ayant réunit les enfants sourds de plusieurs pensions de son quartier il conçut de développer une langue gestuelle universelle que les entendants de toutes les nations pourraient apprendre dans des Collèges.
Par l'instruction dispensée, l'abbé de l'Epée rendait ses élèves sourds de tout âge non seulement à la citoyenneté, mais les intégrait encore à un projet de paix : les gestes avaient la faculté de traverser des frontières que les langues orales franchissent difficilement. À son décès, l'abbé de l'Epée instruisait près d'une centaine d'élèves.

La reconnaissance des sourds envers leur maître reste indissociable de leur histoire associative : en créant une école publique, ouverte à toutes les classes sociales, et gratuite, l'abbé de l'Epée réunissait une population abandonnée jusqu'alors ; celle-ci sut se constituer des modèles, avec leurs propres maîtres sourds. Les silencieux prirent en charge la défense de leurs droits à la citoyenneté, et de leurs intérêts les plus légitimes : se marier librement, converser selon leur langue, s'associer afin d'assurer des fonctions déficitaires dans les domaines les plus diversités, de la mutualité, de la formation adulte, de l'interprétariat des tribunaux..

Vers la même époque, la langue des signes, celle des sourds, langue à part entière, avec une syntaxe et une grammaire indépendantes des langues orales, s'était considérablement perfectionnée sous l'action conjuguée d'un pédagogue entendant, Augustin Bébian2 (1789-1839), et des premiers enseignants sourds. Bébian avait appris le langage naturel des Sourds-et-Muets dans son enfance : c'était le filleul de l'abbé Sicard, qui succédera à l'abbé de l'Épée. Bébian fut l'auteur d'ouvrages remarquables sur la gestualité. Il publia en 1824 une Mimographie, essai d'écriture des signes naturels.

Ses disciples.


La fondation de l/institution nationale des sourds de naissance : l’abbe Sicard et son repetiteur silencieux, Jean Massieu.
Après le décès de l'abbé de l'Épée, ses élèves furent confiés à l'abbé Masse, l'un de ses disciples. Une école fut ouverte dans l'ancien couvent des Célestins, quartier de l'Arsenal, rue du Petit-Musc, rive droite, en amont de l'Ile Saint-Louis.
L'abbé Sicard (1742-1822) l'un des disciples du "Père spirituel des Sourds", à savoir, de l'abbé de l'Épée, provoqua un concours de premier instituteur, pour diriger l'institution nationale des sourds de naissance, établissement que la Constituante projetait de fonder par souci égalitaire révolutionnaire. Les meilleurs pédagogues de l'époque s'y présentèrent les abbés Salvan et Pernet de Foncines, tandis que l'abbé Deschamps d'Orléans, probablement malade, ne put se présenter.
L'abbé Sicard dirigeait depuis 1785 l'école des Sourds de Bordeaux, charge confiée par Monseigneur Champion de Cicé, l'archevêque de cette ville. Ce dernier avait été promu Ministre de l'Intérieur, et convoqua les membres du jury, dont Condorcet faisait partie. Sicard était sensualiste, et ses idées restaient en accord avec les programmes d'instruction et la philosophie de Condorcet. Sicard présentait à ce concours un élève particulièrement intelligent Jean Massieu (1772-1846), qui deviendra répétiteur, et fut ainsi le premier silencieux sourd à accéder à des charges pédagogiques officielles. Massieu enseignera à l'institution de Paris jusqu'en 1823, pour devenir, à l'appel d'un philanthrope, directeur de l'école de Lille.
Sicard fut donc directeur de la nouvelle institution des Sourds située aux Célestins. Il était encore responsable hiérarchique de l'École des Aveugles travailleurs, dont le maître était Valentin Haüy. Cette collaboration ne devait pas durer. Si l'esprit révolutionnaire s'accordait à reconstituer un être intègre à partir du sourd et de l'aveugle, l'un prêtant à l'autre la faculté qui lui manquait, Valentin Haüy prit ombrage du prestigieux Sicard. La situation se dégrada entre les deux hommes. Haüy dut dénoncer Sicard comme prêtre réfractaire, à l'époque la plus sombre des guerres révolutionnaires. Sicard échappa par miracle aux massacres de septembre 1792.

La décision fut prise de séparer les sourds des aveugles. Les sourds furent transférés dans la mense conventuelle de l'ancien cloître de Saint-Magloire, situé rue du Faubourg Saint-Jacques, l'actuelle rue Saint-Jacques. Ils s'y établirent le 4 avril 1794, pour y rester jusqu'à présent. Sicard connut encore bien des aventures politiques ; arrêté comme espion de Louis XVIII, il fut ensuite proscrit par Bonaparte, et condamné à la " transportation " à Sinnamari, en Guyane, voyage auquel peu survécurent ; il sut échapper sagement à cette expérience ultime en se réfugiant dans le faubourg Saint-Marceau, proche de l'institution, pour y écrire un volumineux cours d'instruction d'un sourd-muet de naissance, traité qui marqua la seconde génération des pédagogues d'enfants sourds.


La prescription fut levée au début de 1800. Sicard reprit sa place, installant Jean-Marc Gaspard Itard (1774-1838), premier médecin de l'institution, afin de surveiller les admissions et l'état sanitaire de l'établissement. Itard entreprît l'éducation du jeune homme sauvage de l'Aveyron. Il lui appliqua le traitement moral qui était prôné par son maître Pinel. Itard poursuivit d'expérimenter certains de ses procédés, notamment ceux de l'éducation physiologique, pour restituer ou développer les reliquats auditifs des élèves de l'institution, et leur enseigner de manière analytique l'articulation artificielle.
Avec l'abbé Sicard, Jean Massieu put obtenir le titre de répétiteur. D'autres le suivirent. Leur vocation pédagogique se doublait de compétences artistiques, en gravure et en peinture. De nombreuses œuvres commémorant la mémoire de l'abbé de l'Épée et d'autres maîtres ont pour auteurs des enseignants sourds. Ces témoignages touchants constituent les collections du Musée universel des Sourds-Muets qui prit le relais de la Galerie historique fondée en 1875 à l'Institution de Paris.

L'un des plus brillants répétiteurs sourds de l'abbé Sicard fut Laurent Clerc (1785-1869). En 1816, Clerc suivit aux États-Unis Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (1787-1851), pasteur américain envoyé par un médecin, Mason Fitch Cogswell (1761-1830), dont la fille Alice était devenue sourde à deux ans et demi. Laurent Clerc participa donc à la fondation de la première grande école du nouveau monde, l'American School for the Deaf, ou American Asylum, en 1817, à Hartford dans le Connecticut. En 1864, Clerc reçut un vase d'argent lors de la cérémonie d'ouverture du National College for the Deaf, la première université silencieuse fondée dans le monde.

À l'Institution nationale de Paris, Ferdinand Berthier (1803-1886) et Alphonse Lenoir furent les deux premiers sourds nommés professeurs en 1829. Lenoir maîtrisait l'art complexe du portrait, Berthier devint l'un des plus prolifiques historiens de la surdité, et reste dans les esprits des sourds le personnage central du XIXe siècle, par son action fédératrice. Berthier fonda la première association unissant les sourds français et étrangers afin de prendre en charges leurs intérêts, leur éducation, et la langue des signes menacée d'interdiction à plusieurs reprises au cours de ce siècle de confrontation et de controverses pédagogiques passionnelles. Il fut l'auteur d'un Code Napoléon à l'usage des sourds. Son action dénonçait les discriminations dont les sourds avaient à se plaindre dans différents domaines, sociologiques, professionnels et pédagogiques. Berthier ne resta indifférent à aucun de ces problèmes, notamment, le manque d'interprètes dans les tribunaux, la reconnaissance des signes et de l'écriture comme instruments légitimes en droit, lors de la transmission d'un héritage, lors du mariage, et dans l'enseignement, afin d'atteindre des niveaux d'études performants.

Posté par Frenchexchange à 06:39 PM - - Commentaires [1] - Permalien [#]

Story of the National Institute for Young Deaf in Paris...

Abbe de l’Epee and the rue des Moulins’s school : Birth of the national institution for young deaf of Paris.

The National Institute for Young Deaf of Paris is a place full of history. At the beginning, the Institution of the born deaf was created under the Constituante, under the law of July 21st and 29th 1791. The goal was to pursuit the philanthropic work of abbe Charles Michel de l’Epee (1712-1789). This law was honoring this benefactor by bringing his name at the scale of the citizens who merited the Fatherland.

Abbe de l’Epee, who was a lawyer at the Parliament of Paris, was devoted to the poor and paupers people. He was teaching time to time to hearing students. Then someday, a haphazard meeting changed his destiny, when in 1760 he met two deaf and mute twin sisters. Their teacher, Father Vanin had just died at the end of 1759. Jacob Rodrigues Pereire, oral teacher for deaf children, who was an important person at the King’s court, was only teaching to a few rich deaf boys and girls or who were supported by some rich people. Abbe de l’Epee had just discovered two new students, for who the traditional way of teaching wouldn’t success. His Augustinian philosophy was allowing him to see in the signs of his two students that it was representing direct ideas. He then imagined a natural gestural sign language ordered following the French syntax, this syntax was seen as the representation of universal human logic.

Abbe de l’Epee understood the stakes of the gestural language. He ignored the sign language that the Parisian deaf community was speaking. This language existed, as one person who became deaf, Pierre Desloges showed it in the book he edited in 1779. The abbe de l’Epee’s project was above the Class he opened in the family house, at 14 rue des Moulins, butte Saint-Roch, near the Louvre in Paris; he re-joined the deaf children of several pensions of his district and he thought about developing a universal gestural language that the hearing people of all the nations would be able to learn at the Colleges.

By the instruction, abbe de l’Epee gave citizenship to his deaf students of every age, but also he integrated them to a project of Peace: the signs permitted to go across obstacles that the oral languages hardly go through.  At his death, abbe de l’Epee was teaching to around one hundred students.

The recognition of the deaf people through their master is inseparable of their association’s history: by creating a public school open to all the social classes, and free, abbe de l’Epee was re-joining an abandoned population; this one could make its own models, with its own deaf teachers. The silent people could then defend their rights to citizenship, and their more legitimate interests: to be free to marry, to chat whatever their language is, to meet each other to work in different domains, of mutuality, to become adult, and to have interpreters at the court.

In the same time, the sign language, the deaf people’s one, was a language like another, with a syntax and a grammar independent from the oral languages, was perfectioned by a hearing pedagogue, Augustin Bebian (1789-1839) and the first deaf teachers. Bebian learned the natural deaf and mute language during his childhood: he was abbe Sicard’s godson, who will inherit from abbe de l’Epee. Bebian was the author of remarkable books about gesturality. He published in 1824 a Mimography, essay about the natural signs.

 

His co-workers.


The foundation of the national institution of born deaf : abbe Sicard and his silent repetitor, Jean Massieu.

After abbe de l’Epee’s death, his students were given to abbe Masse, one of his co-workers. One school was opened in the old Celestins’ convent, in the Arsenal district, rue du Petit-Musc, on the north bank, near Saint-Louis Island.

Abbe Sicard (1742-1822), one of the “Spiritual Father of the Deaf”‘s co-workers, organized a competition of the best instructor, to aim the national institution of born deaf, school that the Constituante was projecting to found to provide revolutionary equality. The best teachers of this period showed up, the abbes Salvan and Pernet de Foncines, whereas abbe Deschamps d’Orleans probably sick couldn’t show up.

Abbe Sicard was aiming since 1875, the Deaf school of Bordeaux, and this charge was given by Monsignor Champion de Cice, archbishop of this town.
This one had been promoted Interior Minister, and called the jury’s members, of which Condorcet belonged.
Sicard was sensualist, and his ideas were agreeing with the instruction programs and philosophy of Condorcet. Sicard was showing at this competition a particularly smart student Jean Massieu (1772-1846), who will become repetitor, and became the first deaf quiet, who could access to official pedagogic responsibilities. Massieu will teach at the Institution of Paris until 1823, to become, at the call of a philanthropic, executive director of Lille’s school.

Sicard then became executive director of the new institution of the Deaf situated at the Celestins. He was still a hierarchic responsible of the Blind workers school, whose director was Valentin Hauy. This collaboration couldn’t last. If the revolutionary spirit wanted to restore one human being with a deaf and a blind, the one helping the other with his missing ability, Valentin Hauy started to worry about Sicard’s prestige. The situation became between the two men crumbled. Hauy denounced Sicard as a disobedient priest, at the darkest time of the revolutionary wars. Sicard escaped with miracle from the September 1792’s slaughters.

It was decided to separate the deaf from the blind. The deaf were transferred in the convent’s mense of the Saint-Magloire’s old cloister, situated rue du Faubourg Saint-Jacques, the actual rue Saint-Jacques. They were established there on April 4, 1794 until now. Sicard had to struggle again with political problems, he was arrested as a spy of Louis XVIII, and then he was banished by Bonaparte, and condemned to “transportation”(exclusion) to Sinnamari, in Guyana, a few people survived to this trip, he knew how to escape nicely from this experience by hiding qt the faubourg Saint-Marceau, near the institution, where he could  write a big course book about born deaf instruction, which chilled the second generation of teachers for deaf children.

The prescription was cleared up at the beginning of 1800. Sicard went back to his position, installing Jean-Marc Gaspard Itard (1774-1838), 1st teacher in the institution to look after the admissions and the health state of the school. Itard took care of the little savage kid from Aveyron. He taught him the morale he learned through his master Pinel. Itard pursued his study and his experiments about physiological education to reconstruct or develop the auditives remains of the students of the institution, and to teach them in an analytic way, the artificial articulation.

With abbe Sicard, Jean Massieu could obtain the position of tutor. Others followed him. Their pedagogic vocation was doubled with artistic capabilities in engraving and in painting. A lot of oeuvres commemorating the souvenir of Abbe de l’Epee and other masters are from deaf authors. Those moving testimonies are part of the Universal Deaf and Dumb Museum collections which relayed the historic Gallery founded in 1875 at the institution of Paris.

One of the smartest deaf tutors of Abbe Sicard was Laurent Clerc (1785-1869). In 1816, Clerc followed to the United States of America Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (1787-1851), American pastor who was sent by a doctor, Mason Fitch Cogswell (1761-1830), whose daughter Alice became deaf at 2 ½ years old. Laurent Clerc was one of the founders of the first big school of the new world, the American school for the Deaf, or American Asylum, in 1817, at Hartford in Connecticut. In 1864, Clerc got a silver bowl at the opening ceremony of the National College for the Deaf, the first silent university founded in the world.

Posté par Frenchexchange à 06:41 PM - - Commentaires [6] - Permalien [#]

Story of ASD...

A Turning Point in American History                                                          

The founding of the American School for the Deaf in Hartford, Conn., in 1817 was a crucial milestone in the way society related to people with disabilities. The time and place are significant because it was a unique conjunction of different currents which led to the school's establishment.

Many threads in developing U.S. society coalesced in Hartford in the early nineteenth century. The importance attached to universal literacy (by no means common in the world at the time) and the particular missionary religious doctrines of the prevalent Protestant sects provided both means and motive for the attempt to educate deaf people. The concept of self-reliance       and the belief that religious salvation is possible through understanding the Bible determined the methods and purposes of the founders. Literacy, salvation and the skills needed to earn a living were the goals. Achieving these required clarity and fluidity of communication, which is why the school was based on sign language from the start.                         

The experiment aroused great interest. Governor Oliver Wolcott, in an 1818 proclamation, asked the public, "to aid . . . in elevating the condition of a class of mankind, who have been heretofore considered as incapable of mental improvement, but who are now found to be susceptible of instruction in the various arts and sciences, and of extensive attainments in moral and religious truth."His words express the great change in attitude toward deaf people which had only just occurred.                         

The school's founders were well aware of the groundbreaking importance of their project, and they and their successors saved       a great many letters, teaching aids, illustrations, books and other objects. These materials remained in the school's possession and now form a rich collection.They document not only the history of deaf education, but also the study of educational techniques, the history of religion, and the history of Hartford, of Connecticut, and of the United States.

Posté par Frenchexchange à 07:40 PM - - Commentaires [0] - Permalien [#]